19-year-old accused of shooting his girlfriend and himself in fatal north-side incident

A 19-year-old man has been arrested and accused of fatally shooting his girlfriend Sunday night on the north side before turning the gun on himself.

On Wednesday, Brenen Lee Mosley was taken into custody on suspicion of felony murder and criminal confinement for his alleged role in a shooting reported shortly before 8:30 p.m. Sunday in the 8800 block of Westfield Boulevard.

Brenan Mosley, 19

According to the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, officers called to an apartment located a man and a woman suffering from injuries consistent with gunshot wounds.

The woman, identified as 20-year-old Autumn Garay by the Marion County Coroner’s Office and court documents, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The man, later identified as Mosley, was taken to the hospital in stable condition with a wound to the head.

Court documents say responding officers located Mosley outside. He was bleeding and holding a towel to his head as he told police that he shot his girlfriend and then himself.

Police went inside and found Garay on the floor of the dining room near two iPhones. One of the phones was still on a speaker call with Mosley’s aunt. The other iPhone was splattered with blood and belonged to the victim, court documents said.

Court documents said Mosley began to provide conflicting statements to officers before he was taken to Eskenazi Hospital for treatment.

Mosley told some officers at the scene that Garay shot herself, and that he made the decision to attempt to take his own life because he “didn’t want her to die alone,” according to court documents.

Officials said Mosley suffered a graze wound after shooting himself in the head.

The 9mm handgun used in the shooting was recovered from the apartment. Police also learned that Mosley’s uncle was the one who called 911, and that Mosley never contacted police after the shooting.

Family members told police that Mosley and Garay had a violent on-and-off relationship for many years, court documents said. Interviews also indicated that Mosley may have been in possession of additional weapons.

Mosley was released from Eskenazi Hospital on Wednesday, and police conducted a follow-up interview.

Court documents said Mosley admitted his involvement in the shooting during that interview. He told police that he was attempting to stop Garay from leaving the residence by standing in front of her and pointing his handgun at her chest.

Mosley said that after about a minute of confining her to the dining area of the apartment, he shot her in the chest when she tried to walk by. Court documents said Mosley also admitted to not calling 911 and deciding to shot himself.

Call IndyStar reporter Justin L. Mack at 317-444-6138. Follow him on Twitter: @justinlmack.